Global challenges of food supply and the part of Ukraine in dealing with them
Scientific and organizational approaches to food supply on global scale are researched in this paper, with the goal of highlighting the challenges of food supply and the the part of Ukraine in dealing with them. General and special scientific methods of economic analysis and data generalization are used: statistical comparison, grouping, structure-function analysis etc. Key problems of global food supply are highlighted, as well as basic principles and mechanisms of dealing with them, accepted by the global community. Ukraine’s place and part in the global food system are shown. Possibilities and risks for the global and national food supply that appear as a result of food trade liberalization are determined. Conclusion is made about the necessity of formation and effective employment of the instruments and mechanisms for prevention or mitigation of such challenges, based on the clearly defied and coordinated goals, consolidation of the permanent monitoring of their accomplishment, taking into account these goals in developing national agrarian, trade and other relevant policies, so that the position of Ukraine could be strengthened in the global food market, and food supply could be improved. The necessity of taking into account the influence of the rules of international trade on the condition and functioning of the national food system for the minimization of risks and maximization of positive effects is justified.
2. OECD/FAO (2016), OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2016-2025, OECD Publishing, Paris. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/agr_outlook-2016-en
3. Meléndez-Ortiz, Ricardo. Аpril 22, 2016. Food security and nutrition in the 2016 globalized economy https://www.ifpri.org/blog/food-security-and-nutrition-2016-globalized-economy/
4. Fan, Shenggen. May 2016. A new global food system for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals http://e15initiative.org/blogs/new-global-food-system-achieving-sustainable-development-goals/
5. Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio. December 2013. Agricultural Trade and Food Security: Some Thoughts about a Continuous Debate http://e15initiative.org/publications/agricultural-trade-and-food-security-some-thoughts-about-acontinuous-debate/
6. WITS. 2016. World Integrated Trade Solution. Washington, DC: World Bank. http://wits.worldbank.org/default.aspx.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.