Urbanization as a challenge for the food safety of a country
Actuality of the research topic. A number of global trends affects food supply and consumption, as well as food security in the world. The main one is the growth of the world population primarily in emerging countries and urbanization of the population. Accordingly, the topic of food security in the context of urbanization becomes highly relevant. Problem statement. It should be noted, that urbanization changes the quantity and structure of food products, increases the demand for quality products, impacts on food security and economic security of the country in general. Review of recent research and publications. Urbanization is a very complex subject; so many well-known foreign and domestic scientists from different fields of science have studied various aspects of urbanization. At the same time, the vast majority of publications are mostly theoretical and cover the demographic and geographical aspects of urban processes, while the issues of economic analysis and the impact of urbanization on food security remain inadequately studied. Task statement, research methods. The article aims to study the process of urbanization in the world and in Ukraine, as well as to identify the impact of urban processes on the economic development of countries and food security in order to develop recommendations on prospects and opportunities for Ukraine. Presentation of the main material (results of work). The paper describes the main processes of urbanization, which take place in different countries and in the world as a whole, as well as in Ukraine. The influence of urbanization processes on the economic development of the countries is determined, namely, that the countries with high level of urbanization have high economic development and accordingly the high Gross National Product per capita. It has been discovered, that urbanization also affects the food security of countries, as the number of urban population increases, the structure of consumer products changes, and the demand for food increases as well. Summary. Urbanization represents both a challenge and an opportunity for the development of agriculture, as well as food security. Urbanization provides opportunities for Ukraine in the face of growing demand for food, to improve its export potential.
2. Childe, V. G. (1950). The Urban Revolution, Town Planning Review, 21, 3–17.
3. Urbanization and Social Change in West Africa Gugler, Josef Flanagan, William Published: September 1978.
4. Urbanization in the Middle East Costello, V. F. Published: March 1977.
5. Dear, M. J. (2000). The postmodern urban condition, Oxford, Blackwell Publishers.
6. Honchar, O. M. (2016). Sutnist urbanizatsii yak hlobalnoho ekonomichnoho protsesu [The essence of urbanization as a global economic process] Naukovyi visnyk Mukachivskoho derzhavnoho universytetu - Scientific Bulletin of the Mukachevo State University, 2(6). 196.
7. Komarnytska, H. O. (2014). Udoskonalennia rehuliuvannia urbanizatsiinykh protsesiv u rehioni [Improvement of regulation of urbanization processes in the region]. Sotsialno-ekonomichni problemy suchasnoho periodu Ukrainy - Socio-economic problems of the modern period of Ukraine, 5. 497-504.
8. Buriachenko, A. Urbanizatsiini faktory ekonomichnoho rostu [Urbanization factors of economic growth] Rynok tsinnykh paperiv Ukrainy - Market of Securities of Ukraine, 7-8. 13-23.
9. Hukalova, I. V. & Omelchenko, N. V. (2015). Katehoriia "urbanizatsiia" u poniatiinii ploshchyni sotsialnoi heohrafii ta inshykh nauk [Category "Urbanization" in the conceptual plane of social geography and other sciences] Visnyk Odeskoho natsionalnoho universytetu. Seriia : Heohrafichni ta heolohichni nauky - Bulletin of the Odessa National University. Series: Geographical and geological sciences. 20, Vyp.2, 96-108.
10. Urbanization Is Changing the Global Food System. URL : https://www.thechicagocouncil.org/blog/global-food-thought/growing-food-growing-cities-food-security-urbanizing-world.
11. Vlasov, V. I. (2005). Dynamika chyselnosti silskoho naselennia u rehionakh i krainakh svitu [Dynamics of the number of rural population in regions and countries of the world] Ekonomika APK - Economy of agroindustrial complex, 10. 131-134.
12. Butkevych, M. N. (2005). Vosproyzvodstvo naselenyia y sotsyalno-demohrafycheskaia sytuatsyia v Rossyy [Reproduction of population and socio-demographic situation in Russia] Sotsys – Socis, 7. 22-31.
13. World Development Indicators: Urbanization. URL: http://wdi.worldbank.org/table/3.12.
14. Rekomendatsii parlamentskykh slukhan «Demohrafichna kryza v Ukraini: prychyny ta naslidky» [Recommendations of the parliamentary hearings "The Demographic Crisis in Ukraine: Causes and Consequences"] Holos Ukrainy - Voice of Ukraine, 2003, 115-116. 8.
15. Kontseptsiia demohrafichnoho rozvytku na 2005 – 2015 roky [The Concept of Demographic Development for 2005-2015] Zbirnyk uriadovykh normatyvnykh aktiv Ukrainy - Collection of Governmental Regulations of Ukraine. 2004, 43, 44-57.
16. Malik, M. Y. & Shpykuliak O. H. (2005). Kadrovyi potentsial aharnykh pidpryiemstv: upravlinskyi aspekt [Personnel potential of agrarian enterprises: managerial aspect]. Kyiv : NNTs «IAE» - NSC "IAE", 80.
17. Chyselnist naiavnoho naselennia Ukrainy na 1 sichnia 2018 roku Statystychnyi shchorichnyk Ukrainy za 2004 rik [The number of available population of Ukraine as of January 1, 2018: Statistical collection] Za red. O. H. Osaulenka. 2005. 356-368.
18. Growing food for growing cities: tackling food waste along the supply chain. URL: https://www.thechicagocouncil.org/blog/global-food-thought/growing-food-growing-cities-tackling-food-waste-along-supply-chain.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.