Cyber-threats in Ukraine as a problem in conditions of geopolitical rivalry
The subject of research is cyber-threats as an instrument of geopolitical rivalry.
The goal of research is to study the impact of cyber-threats on Ukrainian society in conditions of geopolitical rivalry.
The research target is to consider the format of the terminological uncertainty of the cyber-threatening problem at a national level; to study the impact of diverse cyber-threats on Ukrainian society and the state; to focus attention on the proposed control mechanisms against the growing cyber-threats in the conditions of geopolitical rivalry.
Research methods. In the process of the study, the following research methods were used: a system approach, a search method, synthesis and generalization, an analogical method.
Methodological basis of research were the Ukrainian scientists’ works and analytical materials.
The results of work. Researching the issue of geostrategic rivalry, the most of the focus is on cyber-struggle. It is found that cyber-security problems increasingly become a problem of the national level, which is traced at the speed of adoption of normative legal decisions with legitimate mechanisms of counteraction to cyber-threats, in the creation of special cyber units to secure cyber resistance and others. The article emphasizes cyber-threats that were the most resonance for the Ukrainian society and the state over recent years, and also attention was paid to the mechanisms used by the authorities to counteract.
The field of application of results. The results of this research can be applied in higher educational establishments of Ukraine to teach such disciplines as National Security, Information Security, Socioeconomic Security, etc.
Conclusions. Cybercrime, cyberattacks, cyberwar are a result of the formation of an information civilization that not only enables to build a more efficient and successful society, but also forms new threats to national security, leads to geopolitical rivalry. The greatest controversy unfolds in regard to cyberspace, so the state should pay more attention to the system of formation of information policy in all its aspects: to provide terminological definiteness; to promote the formation of the proper coordination of activities of various information departments related to cyberspace opportunities; to create an effective training system for special structural cyber units; to cooperate with international agencies trying to provide cybersecurity in the world.
2. Bulhak, P. (2013). Kiberviina ta Yevromaidan: repetytsiia 2015 [Cyberwar and EuroMaidan: rehearsal 2015]. URL: http://www.pravda.com. ua/articles/2013/11/27/7003178 [in Ukr.].
3. V «Ukrenerho» nazvaly prychynu nichnoho «znestrumlennia» Kyieva ta oblasti [In "Ukrenergo" was named the reason of nightly "blackouts" of Kyiv and region]. URL: https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2016/12/18/614928 [in Ukr.].
4. Demydiuk, S. (2018). Sohodni kiberpolitsiia blyzko 80% zlochyniv, pov’iazanykh iz kibershakhraistvom [Today, cyberpolicesolveabout 80% crimesofcybercrime]. URL:http://mvs.gov.ua/ua/news/13720_Sogodni_kiberpoliciya_rozkriva_blizko_80 _zlochiniv_povyazanih_iz_kibershahraystvom__Sergiy_Demedyuk_FOTO.htm [in Ukr.].
5. Dubov, D. V. (2014). Kiberprostir yak novyi vymir heopolitychnoho supernytstva [Cyber space as a new dimension of geopolitical rivalry]: monohrafiia. Kyiv : NISD, 328 p. [in Ukr.].
6. Dubov, D. V. (2018). Problemni pytannia komunikuvannia kiberatak v Ukraini: mozhlyvi shliakhy vyrishennia [Problematic issues of communicating cyberattacks in Ukraine: possible ways to solve the problem]. URL: http://www.niss.gov.ua/content/articles/files/CyberCommunication-e06b5.pdf [in Ukr.].
7. Kiberalians zaiavliaie, shcho u 2016 rotsi ukrainskyi khaktyvizm vyishov na svitovyi riven [Cyberalians inform that in 2016, Ukrainian hacktivism came to the world level]. URL: https://detector.media/infospace/article/122787/2017-02-02-kiberalyans-zayavlyae-shcho-u-2016-rotsi-ukrainskii-khaktivizm-viishov-na-svitovii-riven [in Ukr.].
8. Mazur, Ye. Khaktyvist pro kiberbezpeku Ukrainy: ne mozhna pidvyshchyty efektyvnist porozhnechi [Haktivist about the cyber security of Ukraine: it is impossible to increase the efficiency of emptiness]. URL: https://24tv.ua/ukrayina_tag1119 [in Ukr.].
9. Nekrasov, V. (2018). Holova Kiberpolitsii: «Vash syn u politsii» prynosyt shakhraiam na «zoni» miliony hryven na dobu [The head of Cyberpolice: "Your son in the police" brings swindlers in "prison" millions of hryvnias per day]. URL: https://www.epravda.com.ua/publications/2018/01/15/633003 [in Ukr.].
10. Nekrasov, V. (2018). Ukraintsi zbahatyly kibershakhraiv na pivmiliarda: yak ne staty zhertvoiu [Ukrainians enriched cybersecurity about half a billion: how not to become a victim]. URL: https://news.finance.ua/ua/news/-/419603/ukrayintsi-zbagatyly-kibershahrayiv-na-pivmilyarda-yak-ne-staty-zhertvoyu [in Ukr.].
11. Rad Rabdit – novyi virus-shifrovalshchik, atakovavshyi Ukrainu [Rad Rabdit – a new virus-coder, which attacked of Ukraine]. URL: https://24tv.ua/ru/novaja_kiberataka_v_ukraine_stalo_izvestno_kakoj_imenno_ virus_zablokiroval_kompjutery_gospredpr_n880875 [in Rus.].
12. Rosiiska prohrama-shpyhun znaidena na komp’iuterakh v ofisi Yatseniuka [The Russian spyware program was found on computers in the Yatsenyuk office]. URL: https:// www.unian.ua/science/ 948970 [in Ukr.].
13. SShA zvynuvatyly Rosiiu v atatsi virusu NotPetya i obitsialy naslidky [US blamed Russia for the virus of NotPetya and promised consequences]. URL: https:// www.unian.ua/politics/10009301 [in Ukr.].
14. Chervonenko, V. (2016). Chy bula kiberataka na oblenerho? [Was there a cyberattack on regional power distribution company (Oblenergo)?]. URL: https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/society/2016/01/160106 [inUkr.].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.