Innovations driven sharing economy in the context of tourism business
Relevance of research topic. Innovations penetration is increasing very fast because of technologies development, society attitude and economic benefit. It transforms traditional businesses to new models and forms. One of the recent trends is sharing economy. It grows very fast and is being introduced in more sectors. One of the biggest growths is in tourism sector. There are some challenges both for the society and science. Research problem: the discussions about the sharing economy, its benefits and threats, implications for the traditional economy are increasing in the literature [7; 17; 18; 20; 34]. However, the scope of sharing economy in each sector of the economy may be approached differently and different aspects may be emphasized. More and more researchers [2; 8] are also attempting to analyze the impact of sharing on the economy, but there is still a lack of common definitions, clear links between innovations and sharing economy in tourism business. Research aim: to identify the concept of sharing economy, it’s features as well as causes and outcomes in the context of tourism business. Method or methodology for conducting research. Scientific literature analysis method is used to achieve this aim. Results of work. Literature analysis revealed that sharing economy is based on C2C based business model where innovations enable the sharing underutilized assets. Sharing economy is accelerated by technological development and lower cost. New trends also impact and transform tourism sector. There are some advantages and disadvantages for the sector.
2. Barron K., Kung E., Proserpio D. (2018). The Sharing Economy and Housing Affordability: Evidence from Airbnb. SSRN Electronic Journal.
3. Bergh A., Funcke A., Wernberg J. (2018). Timbro sharing economy index. Timbro.
4. Bhise S., Singh K. R. (2016). Sharing Economy-A new way of consumption in general and in India.
5. Biswas R., Pahwa A., Sheth M. (2015). The rise of the sharing economy. The Indian landscape. Ernst&Young LLP.
6. Botsman R. (2015). Defining The Sharing Economy: What Is Collaborative Consumption – And What Isn’t?
7. Botsman, R. (2017). Who can you trust?: how technology brought us together–and why it could drive us apart. Penguin UK. URL: https://books.google.lt/books?l=lt&lr=&id=7cGWDgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT14&dq=Rachel+Botsman&ots=W1c-P31MVp&sig=rPmAqHHKVLbj1vNLTSDr4sqNzYs&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Rachel%20Botsman&f=false
8. Brauckmann S. (2017). City tourism and the sharing economy – potential effects of online peer-to-peer marketplaces on urban property markets. Journal of tourism futures, vol. 3 no. 2, p. 114-126.
9. Butter A.G. F., Groot S. P.T., Lazrak F. (2007). The Transaction Costs Perspective on Standards as a Source of Trade and Productivity Growth. Tinbergen Institute Discussion Paper.
10. Cesarani M., Nechita F. (2017). Tourism and the Sharing Economy. An Evidence from Airbnb Usage in Italy and Romania. Symphonya Emerging Issues in Management, N. 3.
11. Constantiou I., Marton A., Tuunainen V. K. (2017). Four Models of Sharing Economy Platforms. MIS Quarterly Executive.
12. Das Satyajit. (2018). Sharing Economy. Wilmott Magazine, Volume 2018 (93).
13. Dervojeda K., Verzijl D., Nagtegaal F. (2013). The Sharing Economy Accessibility Based Business Models for Peer-to-Peer Markets. Business Innovation Observatory.
14. Famulski T. (2017). Selected legal aspects of transaction costs. Journal of Finance and Financial Law, vol. 1(13), p. 21–32.
15. Farronato C., Fradkin A. (2018). The welfare effects of peer entry in the accommodation market: the case of Airbnb. NBER Working Paper No. 24361.
16. Felländer A., Ingram C., Teigland R. (2015). The sharing economy: embracing change with caution. Entreprenörskapsforum, ISBN: 978-91-89301-75-7.
17. Gansky, L. (2010). The mesh: Why the future of business is sharing. Penguin. URL: https://books.google.lt/books?hl=lt&lr=&id=3Guci5d1RaAC&oi=fnd&pg=PT13&dq=Gansky&ots=iPFdL169dR&sig=WfYWkau_XFmrgdnSQ4fOUbYi4II&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Gansky&f=false
18. Hayat, N. B. (2017). Accommodating bias in the sharing economy. Brook. L. Rev., 83, p. 613. URL: https://brooklynworks.brooklaw.edu/blr/vol83/iss2/14/
19. Latitude. (2010). The new sharing economy.
20. Lin, H. Y., Wang, M. H. and Wu, M. J. (2017). A STUDY OF AIRBNB USE BEHAVIOR IN THE SHARING ECONOMY. International Journal of Organizational Innovation, No 10(1).
21. Malhotra A., Alstyne M. (2014). Economic and Business Dimensions: The Dark Side of the Sharing Economy and How to Lighten It. Vviewpoints, Vol. 57, No 11.
22. Mocker M., Fonstad O. N. (2017). How AUDI AG is Driving Toward the Sharing Economy. MIS Quarterly Executive.
23. MuniRent. (2019). What is MuniRent? URL: https://www.munirent.co/about
24. Muthoo A. (2001). The economics of bargaining.
25. OECD. (2018). Tourism Trends and Policies 2018. OECD Publishing, Paris.
26. Olson J. M., Kemp J. (2015). Sharing Economy: An In-Depth Look At Its Evolution & Trajectory Across Industries. Piper Jaffray Investment Research.
27. Oskam J., Boswijk A. (2016). Airbnb: the future of networked hospitality businesses. Journal of Tourism Futures, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 22-42.
28. Passport. (2014). Travel and the sharing economy. Euromonitor International.
29. Rinne A. (2013). World Economic Forum Young Global Leaders Taskforce: Circular Economy Innovation & New Business Models Initiative. Young Global Leaders Sharing Economy Working Group Position paper.
30. The Oxera Economics Council. (2015). A fair share? The economics of the sharing economy. Agenda Advancing economics in business.
31. Uzunca B., Rigtering C., Ozcan P. (2018). Sharing and shaping: a cross-country comparison of how sharing economy firms shape their institutional environment to gain legitimacy. Academy of Management Discoveries 2018, Vol. 4, No. 3, p. 248–272.
32. Wallsten S. (2015). The Competitive Effects of the Sharing Economy: How is Uber Changing Taxis?
33. World bank. (2019). Individuals using the Internet (% of population) URL: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IT.NET.USER.ZS
34. Zervas G., Proserpio D., Byers W. J. (2017). The Rise of the Sharing Economy: Estimating the Impact of Airbnb on the Hotel Industry. Journal of Marketing Research.
35. Zervas, G., Proserpio, D. and Byers, J. W. (2017). The rise of the sharing economy: Estimating the impact of Airbnb on the hotel industry. Journal of marketing research, No 54(5), pp. 687-705. URL: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1509/jmr.15.0204
36. Zipcar. (2013). Croydon council cuts employee car usage in half with zipcar. URL: https://www.zipcar.co.uk/press/releases/croydon-council-cuts-employee-car-usage-in-half-with-zipcar.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.