Circular economy as a strategic priority of global value chains development
Relevance of the research topic. Climate change is one of the key challenges of today, which has evolved into a global undertaking on an unprecedented scale. In order to ensure that industrial growth is not accompanied by a negative impact on the environment, but rather ensures sustainable development, the world community has proposed various ideas and initiatives, such as the adoption of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (1992), the first step towards tackling climate change; Kyoto Protocol (1995), Paris Agreement (2016), European Green Agreement (2019) as a new growth strategy aimed at transforming the EU into more equitable and prosperous societies , with a modern cost-effective and competitive economy based on zero-level decoupling greenhouse gas emissions in 2050. Ukraine is also joining these processes by setting up an interagency group to coordinate the effects of climate change under the European Green Agreement. The primary issue is to substantiate the mechanisms for involving Ukrainian industry in the Green Agreement. Addressing these challenges is the integration of Ukrainian producers into value chains, which determines the relevance of this study. Formulation of the problem. The growing danger of catastrophic global environmental changes and other aspects of irrational policies for the natural resources using threaten the future safe development of society and the ability to meet the needs of consumers. All these challenges require decisive action and adaptation of manufacturers to new operating conditions. Selection of unexplored parts of the general problem. Given the transformation of the model of organization of production, which in the face of increasing international competition is organized within global value chains and strengthening environmental requirements for the integration of producers at different stages of the production process, the problem of substantiating mechanisms for adapting producer’s instruments of state regulation to intensify cooperation of export-oriented industries s producers Ukraine with foreign partners. Setting the task, the purpose of the study. The task of the study is to substantiate the importance of implementing circular principles as a strategic priority for the development of global value chains and substantiate the mechanisms to support Ukrainian producers in the integration into circular (closed) value chains. Method or methodology for conducting research. The work uses general scientific methods: abstract-logical, system; analysis and synthesis, statistical comparisons, grouping, sampling; expert assessments. The field of application of results. The results of this study can be applied in the formation of state policy on the main aspects of export development of industry in the context of integration processes, as well as in the development of industry "greening". Conclusions. Based on the analysis of the development of global value chains, the peculiarities of the formation of circular value chains are revealed and effective tools of industrial policy for intensification of industrial landscaping processes and integration of national production into circular value chains are proposed.
2. Porter, M. (2005). Konkurentnoe preimushchestvo: kak dostich' vysokogo rezul'tata i obespechit' ego ustoychivost' [Competitive advantage: how to achieve high results and ensure its sustainability], Moskva, 715 s. [in Eng.]
3. Why the circular economy must link up the whole supply chain. URL: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/09/why-the-circular-economy-needs-to-link-up-the-whole-supply-chain/ [in Eng.]
4. Brennan, L., Ferdows, K., Godsell, J., Golini, R., Keegan, R., Kinkel, S., Srai, J. S. & Taylor, M. (2015). Manufacturing in the world: where next? International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 1253-1274. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-03-2015-0135 [in Eng.]
5. D'Amato, D. et al. (2017). Green, circular, bio economy: A comparative analysis of sustainability avenues. Journal of Cleaner Production. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.09.053 [in Eng.]
6. Bouldig, K. (1966). Economics of the coming spaceship Earth. Environmental Quality in a Growing Economy, 3-14. [in Eng.]
7. Brennan, L., Rakhmatullin, R. (2015). Global Value Chains and Smart Specialisation Strategy. Thematic Work on the Understanding of Global Value Chains and their Analysis within the Context of Smart Specialisation; EUR 27649 EN; doi:10.2791/44840. [in Eng.]
8. The European Green Deal. Brussels, 11.12.2019. URL: https://cutt.ly/kslQDGl [in Eng.]
9. Hlobal'ni tsili staloho rozvytku 2016-2030 [Sustainable Development Goals 2016-2030]. URL: http://www.un.org.ua/ua/tsili-rozvytku-tysiacholittia/tsili-staloho-rozvytku [in Ukr.]
10. David, W. Pearce and R. Kerry Turner (1989). Economics of Natural Resources and the Environment, 392 p. [in Eng.]
11. Fedorchuk, Ya., Servetnyk, D. Tsyrkulyarna ekonomika. Orhanizatsiyno-pravovi aspekty [Circular economy. Organizational and legal aspects]. URL: https://www.businesslaw.org.ua/circle-economic-t [in Ukr.]
12. MacArthur, E. et al. (2014). Towards the Circular Economy: Accelerating the scale-up across global supply chains. Published by World Economic Forum, Geneva, Switzerland [in Eng.]
13. Guide, D. & Wassenhove, V. L. (2009). The Evolution of Closed-Loop Supply Chain Research. URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220243663_The_Evolution_of_Closed-Loop_Supply_Chain_Research. [in Eng.]
14. UNEP. Prohrama rozvytku OON po navkolyshn'omu seredovyshchu [United Nations Environment Development Program]. URL: https://www.unenvironment.org/ru/programma-oon-po-okruzhayuschey-srede [in Ukr.]
15. Database OECD-WTO Trade in Value Added (TiVA). URL: https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=TIVA_2018_C1# [in Eng.]
16. Circular Advantage: Innovative Business Models and Technologies to Create Value in a World without Limits to Growth (2014) Accenture. URL: https://www.accenture.com/t20150523t053139__w__/us-en/_acnmedia/accenture/conversion-assets/dotcom/documents/global/pdf/strategy_6/accenture-circular-advantage-innovative-business-models-technologies-value-growth.pdf [in Eng.]
17. Tymoshenko, I. P. & Dronova, O. L. (2018). Tsyrkulyarna ekonomika dlya umov Ukrayiny [Circular economy for the conditions of Ukraine]. Formuvannya rynkovykh vidnosyn v Ukrayini – Formation of market relations in Ukraine, 9 (208), 120-127. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1485209 [in Ukr.]
18. Zvarych, I. (2017). Tsyrkulyarna ekonomika i hlobalizovane upravlinnya vidkhodamy. [Circular economy and globalized waste management.] Zhurnal yevropeys'koyi ekonomiky – Journal of the European Economy, 16, 1, 41-57. [in Ukr.]
19. Stan sfery povodzhennia z pobutovymy vidkhodamy v Ukraini za 2019 rik [The state of the sphere of household waste management in Ukraine in 2019]. URL: https://www.minregion.gov.ua/napryamki-diyalnosti/zhkh/terretory/stan-sfery-povodzhennya-z-pobutovymy-viь [in Ukr.]
20. Ukrayina potrapyla v top krayin z naybil'shym obsyahom smittya na lyudynu [Ukraine is among the top countries with the largest amount of garbage per capita]. URL: https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2019/07/15/7220956 [in Ukr.]
21. Eurostat. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrowser/view/cei_wm011/default/table?lang=en [in Eng.]
22. Deineko, L. et al. (2019). Promyslova polityka yak klyuchovyy instrument stratehiyi rozvytku : naukovo analitychna dopovid' [Industrial policy as a key tool of development strategy: scientific and analytical report] / za red. d-ra ekon. nauk Deyneko L. V. ; NAN Ukrayiny, DU «In-t ekon. ta prohnozuv. NAN Ukrayiny». Kyiv. 143. URL: http://ief.org.ua/docs/sr/304.pdf [in Ukr.]
23. Deineko, L. et al. (2018). Rozvytok promyslovosti dlia zabezpechennia zrostannia ta onovlennia ukrayinskoyi ekonomiky: naukovo analitychna dopovid [Development of industry to ensure the growth and renewal of the Ukrainian economy: scientific and analytical report]. Ed. by L. Deineko. Kyiv: NAS Ukraine, SI «Institute for Economics and Forecasting of NAS of Ukraine». 158 p. URL: http://ief.org.ua/docs/sr/301.pdf [in Ukr.].
24. Kushnirenko, О., Zarudna, O. (2018). Mozhlyvosti intehratsiyi ukrayins'koyi promyslovosti do hlobal'nykh lantsyuhiv dodanoyi vartosti [Opportunities for the integration of the Ukrainian industry into global value chains]. Ekonomichnyy visnyk universytetu - Economic Bulletin of the University, (39), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.31470/2306-546X-2018-39-65-74 [in Ukr.].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.